Pros and Cons of a Marquee Wedding
Marquee weddings give you a lot of flexibility in where and how you want your reception to be. But, as with every type of venue, there are pros and cons to this choice. Here, we have outlined these to help you decide if a marquee wedding is for you!
Pros of a Marquee Wedding
- Firstly, when you hire a marquee for your wedding, you can choose from a huge array of shapes and sizes, prices and specifications, and they can fit into surprisingly small spaces. You could even have a wedding tipi! So, you could fit into your garden or you could be create your ideal, all-inclusive guest list. You choose the marquee to suit you and your wedding.
- Secondly, you have complete control over the marquee decoration. If you need help or inspiration the marquee company can provide decoration. But, if you want to do it yourself, there are no restrictions! Having a marquee gives you the flexibility to decorate it in any style and fashion, which is not necessarily feasible with other venues. The possibilities for your marquee decoration are endless from drapes of coloured fabrics, fresh flowers, ribbons and fairy lights, giving that cosy, personal feel to your wedding.
- Thirdly, you can change the layout of the marquee so you can have it in the format you want. For example you can section off parts of the marquee for catering and you can choose how big and where you want your dance floor.
- Finally, you can choose your own outside wedding caterer. Wedding catering can be a large cost at a wedding venue and you won’t have much choice in which caterers you can use. If you have a marquee wedding, the marquee catering options are endless. They will set up a mobile kitchen on trestle tables in a catering tent – usually the end of the wedding marquee which has been partitioned off, and will usually also have a refrigerated van. Alternatively, go for a country theme with a wedding barbecue or hog roast, or provide your guests with picnic hampers and rugs.
Cons of a Marquee wedding
- Firstly, marquees are quite seasonal. They work best in good weather months, so this is when they are most expensive. Also, as there the weather is never guaranteed, your wedding could become a rather wet affair!
- Secondly, additional costs may sneak up on you as you’ll have to hire other facilities. For example, chairs, tables, a stage, dance floor, lights and even mobile toilets!
- Thirdly, marquees add responsibility to you, your groom and your families. It can mean you have to help set up, decorate and tidy up afterwards. Not necessarily something you want to do on the morning after your wedding!
- Finally, weddings are never quiet events, especially not marquee weddings. If you are planning on having lots of guests and music dance to all night, there is a risk you could upset the neighbours!
Think a marquee wedding may be for you but wondering how to combat these issues? Check out our top tips for organising a marquee wedding.
Looking for your perfect wedding venue?Find a Venue
- Our Latest Blog Posts
- Most Popular
- Start Planning
- Ultimate Guides
- Covid 19
- Wedding Venues
- Bridal Wear
- Mother of the Bride
- Beauty, Hair and Makeup
- Cakes, Fountains and Sweet Treats
- Caterers and Catering Equipment
- Celebrants and Toastmasters
- Church Weddings
- Discos and DJ's
- Health, Fitness and Weight Loss
- Flowers and Florists
- Gift Ideas
- Gift Lists
- Guest Accommodation
- Hen and Stag Do
- Legal, Financial and Insurance
- Photography and Photographers
- Planners and Co-ordinators
- Spas and Treatments
- Stationery and Invites
- Transport – Cars to Carriages
- Venue Decor and Furniture
- Videography and Videographers
- Weddings Abroad
- Wedding Fairs
- Planning a Wedding
- Wedding Party Advice
- Other Articles