Choosing your wedding venue
Your day…your way.
When it comes to wedding planning decisions, choosing the perfect wedding venue to suit your tastes and budget is one of the most important decisions you’ll have to make. Not only do you have to consider the venue location and size, the catering and accommodation for your guests, you’ll also need to research, visit countless venues and consider whether they are just right for the wedding of your dreams.
The search for wedding venues can be whittled down if you know what kind of wedding you want. If you’re hitting the road to ‘I do’, with no idea of what kind of wedding venue would suit your tastes, this guide can help. We have compiled together some of the most popular wedding venue types and who it would be suitable for. Time is of the essence when it comes to wedding planning, so with no further delays – let’s get to it!
Outdoor wedding venues:
When it comes to outdoor wedding venues, the possibilities are endless. Ranging from a garden wedding to beach and barn weddings, if you’re a bride that’s at one with nature, this type of wedding venue is for you. Hear the birds singing in a garden full of English blooms or listen to the sound of waves crashing on the beach as you tie the knot, followed by dancing the night away under the stars or next to a campfire. So, swap your wedding shoes for cowboy boots or flip-flops and get hitched in the great outdoors.
Outdoor wedding venues are perfect for you if:
- You love nature and the outdoors.
- You are keen to do whatever is needed in case of bad weather.
- You’re not fussy about decor.
- You want more freedom in customising your wedding venue.
- You’re open to a humanist or spiritualist ceremony if need be.
Hotel wedding venues:
Hotel wedding venues come with all the mod cons, often boasting luxurious rooms, on-site catering and acres of breathtaking grounds, with expert staff on hand catering to your every whim and desire. Plenty of hotels offer easily customisable wedding packages to make wedding planning as easy as possible, and your guests can easily retire to their rooms after dancing the night away only to meet you for a delicious breakfast the next morning.
Hotel wedding venues are perfect for you if:
- You’re having a destination wedding, or have lots of guests travelling from far away.
- You want on-site catering.
- You’re planning a big wedding with a large reception.
- You want to easily provide your guests with accommodation.
- You’d like a wedding co-ordinator to help you with the logistics.
Barn wedding venues:
Barns are a classic choice for an English wedding, as we have so many beautiful barn wedding venues throughout the UK. With their gorgeous rustic feel and wooden interiors, barns are perfect for couples who want something relaxed yet romantic. Enjoy the countryside views, beams strewn with fairy lights and bunting and beautiful photo opportunities, all while enjoying modern heating and sound systems.
Barn wedding venues are perfect for you if:
- You love everything vintage.
- You’re a fan of the countryside.
- You want flexibility when it comes to the reception and ceremony set-up.
- You want something that works in every season.
Country house wedding venues:
For glamorous brides who want to feel like something out of a fairytale, you can’t go wrong with an elegant country house wedding venue. Country houses and stately homes have stunning spaces for both wedding ceremonies and receptions, so if you’ve always dreamed of tying the knot in a picture gallery or orangery before retiring to the grounds for cocktails and an evening reception in the ballroom, then a country house may be the ideal wedding venue for you.
Country house wedding venues are perfect for you if:
- You want a fairytale wedding day
- You love light, airy spaces
- You want an outdoor element to your reception
- You want a variety of locations for your photos
- You want a small amount of luxury accomodation
Unique wedding venues:
When it comes to unique weddings, the world is your oyster. From treehouse weddings, zoos and museums, to football grounds, theatres and botanical gardens, the sky truly is the limit. These weddings are for the gutsy brides, who want to defy the norm and go against the grain. Non-traditional weddings are a great way to switch things up and ensure that your guests will buzz about your wedding for the years to come.
Unique wedding venues are perfect for you if:
- You want something different and memorable.
- You have a creative and quirky personality.
- You don’t mind doing DIY.
- You’re happy to travel further afield to get the venue of your dreams.
Destination wedding venues:
If you want to say ‘hasta la vista’, as you jet away somewhere exotic for the biggest day of your life, destination weddings are for you. From the magnificent gold temples of Thailand and the sun-kissed beaches of Mexico, to the natural beauty of the Seychelles and Mauritius, these weddings are for the adventurous brides. From safari weddings and underwater vows, you will feel like you’re in a fairytale.
Destination wedding venues are perfect for you if:
- You love travelling.
- You don’t mind having a smaller wedding.
- You want intimacy and luxury.
- You’ve been married before and want something different.
- You’ve considered eloping.
Now, that you have an idea of what kind of wedding would suit your tastes, use our venue finder to search for venues near you, add your favourites to a shortlist with our wedding planner, and arrange a time to have a look round. Do make sure that you go prepared and ask lots of questions about the accommodation, number of guests, catering, the evening reception and wedding breakfast, to name a few. If you want to get married at the venue, be sure to double check that they’re licensed for civil ceremonies, and put a deposit down to secure your date.
Happy wedding planning! We wish you the best of luck!
Find your dream wedding venue with Guides for Brides