Changing your name
Whilst convention says that a bride will take a groom’s surname in marriage, law doesn’t dictate that you have to- whether you are a gay or straight couple.
Your name is a tremendous part of your identity so making the decision to change it, is quite a big deal.
Here is a quick insight into the options you have for changing your name.
- The most traditional option – taking your husband/partner’s name. This does make things simpler if you have joint legal, financial or social responsibilities.
- Keep your maiden name. This has become increasingly popular and makes sense if you wish to keep the name you use in your profession.
- Double barrel both names. Practical and becoming more and more popular; you are both able to keep your names and take on your partners! Have fun deciding the order the names go in….
For more information about changing your name, see: /wedding-ideas/changing-your-name
- Our Latest Blog Posts
- Most Popular
- Start Planning
- Wedding Venues
- Bridal Wear
- Mother of the Bride
- Beauty, Hair and Makeup
- Cakes, Fountains and Sweet Treats
- Caterers and Catering Equipment
- Celebrants and Toastmasters
- Church Weddings
- Discos and DJ's
- Health, Fitness and Weight Loss
- Flowers and Florists
- Gift Ideas
- Gift Lists
- Guest Accommodation
- Hen and Stag Do
- Legal, Financial and Insurance
- Photography and Photographers
- Planners and Co-ordinators
- Spas and Treatments
- Stationery and Invites
- Transport – Cars to Carriages
- Venue Decor and Furniture
- Videography and Videographers
- Weddings Abroad
- Wedding Fairs
- Planning a Wedding
- Wedding Party Advice
- Other Articles