About St James, Hamsterley
Perhaps St James, Hamsterley is your nearest parish church or if you have another familial connection with it, we'd love to hear from you to discuss your plans for your celebration. To find out more about qualifying connections that qualify you to marry in a particular church, see the Church of England's weddings web site for more details. Couples choose a church wedding for plenty of different reasons. Find out more about how you can too.
Your church wedding
Marrying your partner is one of the biggest decisions you’ll take in life. There are some things about marrying in church that make that big moment extra special:
- Getting married in a church will add a spiritual dimension to your marriage. God’s blessing is an important factor for many couples, whatever their beliefs. If you'd like to add a spiritual element to your wedding ceremony, then a church could be the perfect choice for you.
- You can make amazing vows, or promises, in a church. These vows, made in public, can feel more meaningful when made in the eyes of God.
- The Vicar has a very particular role to play in your wedding. They can blend ancient tradition and modern experience to reflect your story, giving a truly personal spin on the classic church ceremony.
- Many of the country's churches offer outstanding beauty. Old or new, intimate or grand, our 16,000 churches are some of the nation’s most stunning wedding venues, with two-thirds being listed buildings.
- Many of the country's churches offer a sense of historical importance and closeness to the past. You can feel you’re becoming part of history itself by marrying in the same place as your relatives.
- For some people, a church simply seems like the proper place to get married. Churches can be described as 'peaceful', 'serene', or having an atmosphere that makes marrying there a particularly special experience.
You do not need to have been christened and you do not need to be attending regularly to choose Getting married in a church. The situation may be more complex if one of you has been married before, or, if one of you is a foreign national, but there may still be a way forward. Simply get in touch and we'll be able to advise you.