Eco-friendly and green weddings are on the rise, with more and more couples wanting to lessen their impact on the environment when it comes to their big day. One of the easiest ways to do this is to pick a wedding venue that's environmentally aware - and luckily, we have plenty of gorgeous eco-friendly venues in the UK! Here are our top picks...
Here are some ideas to get you started, compiled by David Shreeve, Environmental Consultant for the Church of England.
1. Dress conscious: Buy bride’s and bridesmaids’ dresses second-hand - Oxfam have at least seven bridal departments throughout the country and grooms have been hiring their suits for years.
2. Grow your own: Use flowers from your own or other local gardens, with permission.
3. Re-use, re-recycle: Presents on your wedding list can be from recycling sources, or second hand.
4. Green gifts: For those with a passion for home-grown produce, why not consider an allotment or some hens on the wedding list?
5. Wrap carefully: Request that family and friends use recycled wrapping paper for their gifts.
6. Thoughtful invitations: Wedding invites and orders of service can be done on recycled stationery.
7. Less fuel: Consider your transport to church. If it’s close enough, walk to the wedding, or consider ways of travelling that cut down on fuel use – a horse and carriage for example.
8. Catch the bus: Rather than having guests travel from the church to the reception venue in their cars, arrange for a bus to take them all together.
9. All under one roof: Some churches have facilities to hold the reception either in the church itself or in an adjoining church hall. Ask at your church what they can do.
10. Romantic lights: Candles in church are not only romantic but save on electricity too.
Start your wedding planning here
Guides for Brides bring you all you need to plan your dream wedding.
Need help? Our experienced team have been helping brides for more than 20 years, call us on 01235 773461 now.
- Advice for Brides
- For Businesses
- For the Groom
- Health and Fitness
- Latest Gossip
- Real Weddings
- The Ceremony & Reception
- Wedding Fairs