Last night I went to Evensong at St Paul’s Cathedral, to listen to some of the members of Trio of Trebles singing. While I chatted to them afterwards on the Cathedral steps I thought about who, other than Charles and Diana, has been married in this incredible place. Can anyone apply to get married there?
Weddings take place in the Chapel of The Order of the British Empire which is in the crypt of St Paul’s, but first you need a Special Licence granted by the Archbishop of Canterbury.
The bad news is that your licence application will only be considered if you fall into the following categories:
- Members of the Order of St Michael and St George
- Members of the Order of the British Empire
- Holders of the British Empire Medal
- Members of the Imperial Society of Knights Bachelor
- Children (but not grandchildren) of the above
No wonder you never see confetti on the steps…!