Skip to contentSkip to primary navigationSkip to quick searchSkip to supplier / event searchSkip to sign inSkip to footer

What is a Celebrant?

Traditionally, couples approached their local church to conduct their wedding, but this doesn’t always suit everyone.  Perhaps you don’t have a particularly strong religious belief – or maybe no religious belief at all.  Maybe you and your partner are of different religions, which would make a marriage in a church, synagogue or mosque difficult.
cherish1A civil ceremony may therefore be your option.  The law of England and Wales is very specific regarding what Registrars can allow at civil ceremonies.  (Note that the law differs in Scotland).   Currently, English law states that a wedding:

– Must take place in a building (or other structure with a fixed roof) which is open to the public and licensed for weddings
– There cannot be any religious content whatsoever, either in the readings, the vows or the music

However, with a professionally trained Celebrant, you can have the ceremony of your dreams.  You still need to do the legal part with a Registrar to obtain your marriage licence, but I can provide the ceremonial elements of your day:  this is the occasion for your walk down the aisle, your wedding outfits, your guests, your bridesmaids, the vows, the ring exchange and so on.

You can have the vows, the readings and the music of your choice, and as much or as little religious or spiritual content as you wish.  Perhaps you would like some wonderful symbolism included, such as a Unity Candle ceremony, or a Loving Cup or a Handfasting, to make your day truly unique.
Find out more at


Receive our newsletter