Planning your wedding can be exhausting. Why not take a well deserved break and enjoy some light hearted wedding movies? Whether it be with your Fiancé, Sister or Father – there’s a wedding movie to suit every one of your guests! Here’s our pick of the top ten wedding classics.
1. 27 Dresses – After serving as a bridesmaid 27 times, Jane wrestles with the idea of standing by her sister Tess’ side as her sibling marries the man she’s secretly in love with.
Staring: Katherine Heigl.
Quote of the movie: “Oh, my God. I feel like I found out my favourite love song was written about a sandwich.”
Watch it with: Your sister (so long as she’s not in love with your husband-to-be!)
2. Runaway Bride – She’s already ran away from three grooms at the altar and as a result Maggie was branded ‘the runaway bride’ by journalist Ike Graham. Will it be fourth time lucky for Maggie?
Staring: Julia Roberts and Richard Gere
Quote of the movie: “Always a bride, never a bridesmaid!”
Watch it with: Your commitment-phobe best friend.
3. My Best Friend’s Wedding – Michael and Julianne have been best friends for years, but they were never more than that – until he popped the question – to someone else.
Staring: Julia Roberts and Cameron Diaz
Quote of the movie: “It’s amazing the clarity that comes with psychotic jealousy.”
Watch it with: Your oldest friend (so long as you know they aren’t secretly in love with you!)
4. My Big Fat Greek Wedding – The young Greek Toula falls in love with non-Greek Ian; Whilst struggling to get her family to accept him, she comes to terms with her heritage and cultural identity.
Staring: Nia Vardalos and John Corbett.
Quote of the movie: “There are three things that every Greek woman must do in life: marry Greek boys, make Greek babies, and feed everyone.”
Watch it with: Your whole extended crazy family!
5. Father of the Bride – Love is wonderful, until it happens to your only daughter. With his oldest daughter’s wedding approaching, George finds himself reluctant to let her go.
Staring: Steve Martin and Diane Keaton.
Quote of the movie: “This was the moment I’d been dreading for the past six months. Well, actually for the past 22 years.”
Watch it with: Your dad.
6. Four Weddings and a Funeral – Over the course of five social occasions, committed bachelor Charles must consider the notion that he may have discovered love.
Staring: Hugh Grant and Andie MacDowell
Quote of the movie: “Excuse me. I think I had better be where other people are not.”
Watch it with: Your destined-to-be-single-forever friends.
7. Mamma Mia – The only missing from Sophie’s wedding is the father of the bride…whichever one he is.
Staring: Amanda Seyfried, Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan.
Quote of the movie: “Typical isn’t it? You wait 20 years for a dad and then three come along at once.”
Watch it with: Your mum.
8. The Wedding Planner – Mary Fiore is San Francisco’s most successful supplier of romance and glamour. She knows all the tricks. She knows all the rules. But then she breaks the most important rule of all: she falls in love with the groom.
Staring: Jennifer Lopez and Matthew McConaughey
Quote of the movie: ‘Y’know, “those who can’t do, teach”? Well those who can’t wed, plan.’
Watch it with: Your maid of honour.
9. Bridesmaids – Competition between maid of honour and bridesmaid threatens to upend the life of an out-of-work pastry chef.
Staring: Kirsten Wiig and Maya Rudolph
Quote of the movie: “You’re like the maid of dishonour.”
Watch it with: Bring all your bridesmaids together for this one.
10. Wedding Crashers – They’re coming to your wedding, with or without an invitation. John and Jeremy are a pair of committed womanisers who sneak into weddings to take advantage of the romance in the air. They find themselves at odds with one another when John meets and fall in love with Claire.
Staring: Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson.
Quote of the movie: “Rule number 1: Never Leave a Fellow Crasher Behind.”
Watch it with: Your groom, it’ll have him in stitches.